Powered by Blogger.

Current Reads: July Edition


With semester one of uni having ended it meant I could dedicate my time to more important things - such as reading. However, me being me I didn't bother to check the semester dates and it turns out semester two started this week. I'm a mess over here people, like actually. So before my life becomes more hectic and stressful I better find more time to read. These are the two books which I'm currently making my way through.

Paris Dreaming by Katrina Lawrence*
My fascination with Paris has been well documented on the blog and as such I'm always compelled by books which concern the city of lights & love. The book covers different stages of the author's life in which she was in Paris, from visiting with her parents as a child through to escaping there as an adult. Each chapter is a combination of what she got up to while in Paris with a kind of history lesson of French writers and notable figures. There is a bibliography at the end of the book and I know I'm going to want to read everything that's listed.

Each chapter manages to capture significant points in Lawrence's life, whether it be her career or personal relationships. Through the highs of lows of life, there's always Paris.


The Wren Hunt by Mary Watson*
While Paris Dreaming makes you feel all warm inside this book does the exact opposite. It has an uneasy sense to it, mostly due to a group of men who find it amusing to torment and chase a girl all because of her name. Aside from that, the story has a fantasy element to it which always intrigues me. It's set in Ireland and focuses on two opposing groups, each of which has their own mystical talents. Wren is the central character and has to go 'undercover' in enemy territory in order to locate a map which has the locations of spiritually charged structures. Losing these means losing their heritage and abilities.

I'm really enjoying it so far & find myself whizzing through it which is always a good sign. A good distraction from the tedious readings I have to do for uni.

What books are you reading this month?

Ashley xx
*Review Copy

No comments

Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas.